(This post is about Tueday, though I haven't finished it until now, at 12:47 a.m. on Wednesday morning.)
I really don't know if I have had a worse day than today. Ever. In my life. I guess the night I had to say goodbye to Mom and Dad when they dropped me and Charlotte off at school was pretty horrible, but today was just a long, sad day full of cold, miserable event after cold, miserable event. So, I decided to wear my new flats today, but they look stupid with socks, so I didn't wear any. I figured I could endure the cold feet for a day. That plan would have worked, had I not come out of Econ this afternoon to a white sky full of thick, freezing snow. The rest of the day on campus was spent trying not to slip on the mushy, frozen, slushy snow, which wasn't a success, as I fell once, and did a couple ridiculous arm-twirling moves to keep myself from falling a couple other times. After work, it was still snowing, and I walked all the way home with no umbrella or hat, seeing as I was oblivious to the impending blizzard when I left my building this morning. I went straight to my car, which was buried by several inches of snow and ice, not to mention surrounded by said snow, which I had to step through, completely covering my uncovered feet. By the time I got back in my car to drive to the credit union to cash my scholarship check so I can buy books tonight, my feet and fingers were numb and throbbing, and I was crying. The roads were completely horrible, and I couldn't change lanes to turn into the credit union because a chunk of ice on my back window obscured my sight on the right side, which happens to be the side missing a side view mirror. I didn't want to risk turning into another vehicle, so I made a huge, painstakingly slow loop around back to Canyon, so I could turn into the right lane sure of no other car. I got back to my room, freezing, missing home, and glad to have the box of Puffs Grandma sent home with me.
PHEW! Now that's off my chest, I'm going to cancel out the horrible that was the last hour or so since I left work by listing all the goods for the day. My day wasn't really horrible, just the couple hours previous to my writing the first paragraph of this post. Here's what was good:
-I had my first classes of Stats, Econ, and Bio, and I'm excited for this semester. These classes will require a different way of thinking than my classes last semester, which were more memorization than analysis and opinion. I'll have to work hard, but I'm excited to take on this challenge. I'm also excited because Stats and Econ are pre-requisites for the accounting program, so I'll be able to get a feel for how I like the subject matter, and if it's something at which I could have a chance of success.
-My scholarship check came in the mail, so I was able to cash it, and buy books. I also scored a used copy of my Econ book, so I only had to pay $150, rather than $200. Sad, that that's a good deal.
-Charlotte came with me to buy my books, and then we went to Smith's, and I stocked up on Honeycrisp apples and baby carrots. Dad has this for breakfast everyday, and I thought I'd give it a try. I get a lot of gas a school from the food (sorry if this is too much information) and Dad said that said breakfast helps limit the "output." Haha
-Charlotte's phone fell out of her coat pocket and into the snow when she and a nice guy who happened to be walking by pushed our car out of a snow bank. She realized it a couple minutes later, so we went back, and it was still lying in the snow, un-crushed and intact. It was a true miracle.
-Charlotte just makes everything better. I can cry and be homesick, watch dumb movies, vent, and be goofy with her. I never have to worry if she'll think I'm a freak or lame. Her love and support makes all the difference when I'm away from home, so no matter how cold and wet I got today, it's all okay because she's here. =)
4 comments:
I'm always here for you :) Love you, buddy :)
Even though you already told me most of this on the phone, it was quite entertaining to read the account. I'm glad you could look back and see the good things in your day. And I'm really glad that you and Charlotte have each other! Love you.
Ugh. There's something to be said for never having to leave the house, even if it's because I'm rather un-bendy and can hardly get up from a prone position...
It sounds like you're doing much better emotionally than I did my freshman year. I guess you should expect days like this in January (aka the Worst Month Ever).
Ugh. There will be days like that, sadly, but I love that you were able to go back and find the good things -- that never fails to make me feel better about life.
It is truly wonderful that you have Charlotte here to commiserate with -- to share the sorrows AND the joys! Every freshman should have a big sister around to help shoulder the burdens.
Post a Comment