Monday, February 1, 2010

complete!

When I was in fifth grade, my class participated in Rocket Day. This entailed assembling a small rocket from a kit, bringing it to school on said day, and launching if off on the kickball field. Grandpa has always been an amazing craftsman, so Mom asked him to help me with the assembly. I spent an afternoon with Grandpa on his patio, gluing the wings on nice and straight and putting together a top-notch rocket. Grandpa's attention to detail and skill made my rocket one of the best in my class. At one point during assembly, Grandpa told me that I was good at working with my hands. This compliment meant so much to me and still does. I loved that being good at working with my hands made me more like my Grandpa. Thus, I thought it appropriate to create something with my hands as a gift to him for his 90th birthday.

Almost an entire month after the fact, I have finished my Grandpa's birthday scarf! When I began this project the day after Christmas, I did not realize what I had gotten myself into. The yarn is a fine, taupe alpaca wool (cast-off from Grandma!). The size of the yarn and needles makes for small stitches, which makes for many many rows. I would be knitting for a couple hours and only add a few inches, but it was totally worth it.

I really love this pattern, though. The body of the scarf consists of an 18-row repetition, so it never became tedious. This pattern kept me thinking, and I loved seeing each new set of blocks come into being. My only concern is that it is on the short side. I like it shorter for Grandpa, though, because I don't want to overwhelm him with this scarf, as it is already quite wide.

Doesn't this yarn look awesome as it unravels?


*Are any of your projects close to completion?
*Would you wear this scarf?

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

When I read "taupe alpaca wool," in my mind it sounded like "taupe-ay alpaca wool." I need to be in stretchy pants, I think.

Miranda said...

heck yeah I would wear that scarf! gorgeous work emily, and what a perfect present for your grandpa.

Melissa Marilyn said...

Oh WOW! That is lovely and ANYONE would be lucky to wear that scarf. Hope you write him a nice note with your beautiful sentiments from this post. You rock!

Susan said...

I would be happy to give it a test run for a few weeks! I'm always cold in my office, car, basement, bedroom...well, you get the picture!

I love it!

Sweet words about Grandpa.

Diana said...

Good job Emily!
I would wear it. I have been ok about finishing projects. I could be better. I finished those hearts. I still need to email you the pattern.
Have you emailed Lou about the knitting class? You should teach one for sure!

michelle said...

Beautiful!! I love the yarn, the pattern, and your work. And especially your comments about Grandpa, so sweet.

I have many many unfinished projects... but at least I figured out how to attach my knit kitty's legs and am working on the body.