Wednesday, February 17, 2010

this is why i am an accounting major

I had to finish a long paper for anthropology last night. Let me say that I would study for a test and punch a calculator over writing a paper any day. Writing this paper was one of those times when I was just spewing words, constantly checking the word count, longing to see the number hit the target of "2332 words of beauty and truth." (Yes, that is what the assignment actually says.) In my late-night fatigue, while being held prisoner to the word count, I took this series of lovely self portraits to convey my pain.


This seemed to do the trick, and I was able to shake off the paper hate. I decided to stop whining, hunker down, and finish. Though not my finest work, it is complete and safely submitted to my t.a.

In other news, we switched out our Valentine's/President's Day decor (yes, have I mentioned that we put up both sets of decorations?) for St. Patricks yesterday at work. The Oriental Trading Co., though cheap, does not always promote the best values. To solve this problem, I got to take a Sharpie to this lovely leprechaun contortionist.

I'm happy for any excuse to use an ultrafine Sharpie, but really?

*Would you rather write a paper or take a test?
*Do you feel better knowing that all decorations in the
Physics Department comply with the honor code?

6 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Spoken like a true accountant in love with numbers. Did you quit at exactly 2332 or throw a bonus in for good measure?

Your knitting is incredible. Strictly incredible.

Charlotte said...

Paper any day. Any. day. And the SPs made me laugh. Thanks.

michelle said...

Oh, your SPs are really making me feel the pain!

I have no words for the leprechaun.

Hannah Holt said...

Paper or test? It's a toss up. I had to take an 8-hour test at the end of engineering school... I would have rather written a paper that time.

Here's a story as long as I'm filling up the word count on this comment. Once upon a time (before my husband Prince Charming Josh came along... have I mentioned how much I like Joshes?), I dated a music major. He was supposed to go out with me and a few friends one night, but showed up half-an-hour late. When he arrived he said, "Sorry guys, I just came back from the testing center. I just took a TWO-HOUR test. It was crazy long. Two hours. Can you believe it?"

I was standing next to another engineering friend and we just stared at him confused. Finally he said, "Never mind, I forgot who I was talking too."

Glad your paper is over. I do feel better knowing that all the decorations in the physics department comply with the honor code. I met my husband in the physics department. I like to know that the bedrock of our love remains unchanged ;).

Karen said...

Test any day! I'm like you and love playing with calculators and studying.

I think the honor code should outlaw the physics department decorations. That would make me feel better.

michelle said...

Ooh yes! I'm with Karen! The honor code should include a caveat about physics dept. decorations. Maybe you should send an anonymous letter to the Daily Universe.