Tuesday, February 15, 2011

rehearsal

I am pathetic at getting out of bed. I play the vicious game of "how much time can I shave off of my routine in order to make it to class or other obligations on time." On the weekends, when I have no set obligations, this game can go on for hours. It's pathetic. And the problem has only become worse as accounting has progressively drained me of energy. I hit rock bottom a couple of weeks ago and felt like such a loser because I am incapable of stepping out of bed before absolutely necessary. I am so sick of having just enough time. I want more time to do good things. So I took my issue to Google.

I searched "how to get out of bed on time" and came across a suggestion which is sending me well on my way to on-time-riser-hood. I'm so excited.

I now practice getting out of bed. Before it's time to get of bed. The logic behind rehearsing getting out of bed is sound. I now take about ten minutes before I go to bed to train my subconscious how to wake up when the alarm goes off. Charlotte laughed when I told her that I've been practicing getting out of bed. I laugh at myself too.

Rehearsal goes something like this:
1. Climb into bed and turn off the light.
2. Set the alarm for 1-2 minutes later.
3. Turn off the light and pretend to be sleeping.
4. The alarm rings
5. Routine commences: Push back covers, hit alarm, turn on light, jump down from top bunk, high-five Harry Potter wand that is by the bedroom door. (Yes, I am training my subconscious to high-five a fake wand as soon as I get out of bed. I feel it starts my way in style.)
6. Repeat steps 1 - 5 about four more times before going to bed for real.

And the best part is that this works! As soon as my alarm rings in the morning, even though I am tired and foggy, the routine immediately begins. It stills takes some effort for me to climb down from my bunk, but I have made it up on time for two days in a row! (This is a big deal for me.)

So yeah, I am turning into a punctual riser. I'm excited.

*What is the silliest routine you have had to practice?

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I can't tell you how much I love this. Seriously. It's the best.

michelle said...

I second Charlotte's comment! It never would have occurred to me to Google this problem. How great to find something that works!

Denise said...

It also would never have occurred to me to Google this problem, but way to go! The practicing idea is sort of funny, but makes sense at the same time. I'm laughing at the thought of you high-fiving the wand.

Miranda said...

This is hilarious.

Claire said...

Hi, my name is Claire. And I too can not make myself get out of bed before I have to...
I never thought I using Google to help solve this persistent problem. Though I am not sure that I will rehearse getting out of bed beacuse I am usually getting to bed too late, I am glad that you have found something to help!