Sunday, May 2, 2010

sunday thoughts

:: I resumed membership in my home ward today, which is always nice. Since it's just me back for the summer, many of the elderly members of the ward (which is most of the ward) do not know whether I am me or Charlotte. One lady grabbed my hand, looking for a ring. She said that my darker hair confused her. Maybe I'll wear a name tag next week. Many ward members have heard of Charlotte's exciting news, which meant that I made the clarification to several people that I am (a) far from graduating and (b) not engaged.

:: In Sacrament meeting, we enjoyed about 10 minutes of organ music while waiting for someone to bring Sacrament bread. Oops. I didn't mind the time for reflection, though. Our organist is quite talented and created a very nice atmosphere for thinking.

:: I really enjoyed Sunday School. Our recently appointed teacher, Pam, did an excellent job of teaching. She provided full-page handouts with quotes and other materials which I found very helpful. I came away motivated to be better at following the prophet and obeying the commandments.

:: Our Relief Society lesson discussed different aspects of our lives that sometimes lead to spiritual standstill. It was beneficial to go through these different areas and get ideas for improvement in my own life.

I'm over at Grandpa's now, helping Mom with Sunday dinner. It's hard to work in Grandma's kitchen without Grandma, but we're all looking forward to roast and mashed potatoes.

*What motivated you today?

11 comments:

Pam Chris Heiny said...

Thanks Emily! I enjoyed the quite while listening to the organ music too.

Shiny said...

The full-page handouts definitely don't surprise me, and neither does the lack of bread:) Im glad mi madre's doing a good job at motivating people!

Oh and you should totally wear a name-tag next week, especially since you two look soo alike, except for the not-at-all part;)

Susan said...

Love your Sunday Thoughts, and I was thinking that it will be very difficult to be at Grandma's house for the first time without her there.

Good thing a few cute sweaters can still smell like her!

YUM! Roast and potatoes. Happy Sunday to all.

Paula said...

I don't know when your changed your banner, but it's very clever - (sometimes I'm not very observant :) Sorry I'm not in CO to see you this summer.

Diana said...

Thats hard to be confused with your sister. That would happen sometimes with me and my sister.
I was at my uncles house today with family. We don't' spend a lot of time with family. (all of my immediate family (parents and sisters) lives in florida) While I was sitting there I felt very strongly the importance of family in our lives. That motivated me. My uncle was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer, he only has two months to live. It has brought our family together. I think its sad that a tragic event brings us together. I have going to their house weekly for two years to sew with my aunt but our other family we don't see too often.

Denise said...

What motivated me today? Having you here to keep me company! LOVE having you home for the summer :).

And I agree--Pam's lessons are always good!

michelle said...

I'm cracking up over the thought of you wearing a nametag to church. You don't look like Charlotte at all! Hmm.

I can see that it would definitely be hard to be cooking in Grandma's kitchen without here there. I find I think about her all the time. All the time.

I am feeling motivated by the great talks at Women's Conference and the many, many ways in which I want to improve myself and my family.

Jill said...

This is too funny, "many of the elderly members of the ward (which is most of the ward) do not know whether I am me or Charlotte." Hopefully they'll figure it out soon or maybe the name tag will prove useful, I'm sure you could make a lovely, embellished tag to match each week's church ensemble.

Anonymous said...

"Our Relief Society lesson discussed different aspects of our lives that sometimes lead to spiritual standstill. It was beneficial to go through these different areas and get ideas for improvement in my own life."

I'd love to hear more about this.

Hannah Holt said...

"What motivated me today?" The fact that you are coming over to babysit Friday. "YAY", not I need to get something together in time for my writing group. :)

Charlotte said...

What's been motivating me? 102 days until I get married!! And less than three weeks before I'm home for a weekend!