Sunday, May 30, 2010

remedies

I currently have a horrible canker sore in the most painful place possible in my mouth. By Friday night, my capacity to chew, talk, and smile was inhibited by the stinging and throbbing right along my jawbone. I was to the point of taking Advil when Charlotte finally convinced me to use Grandma's treatment. I've always been too wimpy to try it, but I was getting desperate.

The treatment is as follows: Lick your finger and dip it in salt. (You see where this is going?) Take a deep breath and press your salty finger on the already throbbing and stinging wound in your mouth and hold it onto it for a second before releasing it. It really really hurts. The following minutes look something like this.

Note my fingers clenched in pain.

I have undergone this treatment three times, but my sore is definitely improving. Here's hoping for a pain-free tomorrow!

Set your pity for me aside and take note of the new hat I finished making yesterday! I learned how to make pom-poms and I'm hooked. Sarah and I spent all afternoon wrapping, tying, and trimming colorful, fluffy poms.

While I was on a self-treating kick this weekend, I invested $12 into a pair of Sea-Bands, which apply pressure to the Nei-Tuan acupressure point on the wrist to relieve motion sickness, which is something I suffer from in unreasonable doses.

I wore them in the backseat on the way back from the mountains and I give them a thumbs up so far, but the true test will be Tuesday's bus ride home from work, which has to this point left me in a state of serious, temporarily debilitating nausea. Fingers crossed that these aren't a hoax.

*What ailments have you treated lately?
*Have you tried either of these treatments?

7 comments:

Miranda said...

Oh no! Sorry about the canker sore. But seriously, that hat. It is fantastic. You have to email me and let me know what method you used for the pom poms! (mirmandy27@yahoo.com)

michelle said...

Love the documentation. I think I'll go gargle with some salt water right now for my incredibly painful throat!

Max and Lucas use those sea bands to great effect on long car rides. Hope they work for you!

Pam Chris Heiny said...

Did you try gargling w/ warm salt water first? I find it's just as effective and less painful. You must gargle 3-4 times a day.

Hannah Holt said...

Alum is my method. Feel better soon (canker sores and motion sickness).

Claire said...

I hope your bands work on your motion sickness!

Denise said...

I'm still laughing that you not only documented the painful process, but did so while wearing/modeling a cute hat. I'm glad Grandma's remedy worked!

Susan said...

I also, couldn't help but hear Grandma's voice encouraging the salt treatment!

Good entertainment at the end of a long week. Thanks. You're too funny.