On Thursday night, Sister Julie B. Beck, General Relief Society President of the LDS Church came to speak to the Relief Society sisters of my stake. She doesn't normally speak to small groups like this, so this was a wonderful opportunity. The format of the meeting was Question and Answer, and Sister Beck's responses were beautiful. Here's some of what I came away with:
:: Like Rebekah in the Old Testament, so much hinges on me and my future decisions as a wife and mother. The future armies of Heavenly Father will come from me. The Lord needs a Rebekah in every home, a woman who will say, "I'll do it."
:: We should be the most hope-filled, forward-thinking people on the earth today.
:: Satan will feed my doubt.
:: Every choice we make should lead us closer to eternal life.
:: Being light minded is different than being light hearted. Light heartedness is a good thing. Light mindedness, however, is when we are not serious in our efforts. It is when you do not use to Spirit to make decisions, which is foolish.
:: What would I say about myself if I couldn't talk about my major, job, or worldly accomplishments.
:: "Someday, you will know the good you did."
:: I am a success! The Lord's standard of success is much different than the world's.
:: Put your trust in the spirit that leads you to do good.
:: Don't mess around with my spiritual identity.
:: The young men around me need my help. Don't be a part of the pornography in the world; be a part of the strength.
:: Every time we are charitable and kind, we are fulfilling our eternal role as mothers.
:: The prophet is advancing, not retreating the work of the Lord.
:: My life is not going to be how I it's going to be, so just press forward and enjoy the ride.
And then today, I attended Stake Conference, and here's some of what I came away with:
:: The most important commandment is the one you are struggling with today.
:: Love will cast off fear.
:: Draw closer to God by doing the small things very well.
:: Even though we do not live close to each other, we can be a regular source of strength to each other. I can support them in their daily lives, and I can feel their love and strength for me each day.
:: Satan will never have the warmth of family, and he wants to keep us from feeling it, too.
:: Take advantage of educational opportunities.
:: Each day is a wonderful opportunity to be able to make decisions and work hard.
:: Teach charity by promoting service. Teach hope by exercising optimism and by not focusing on my own problems.
This last week was wonderful. It was incredibly busy, but I learned so much. I am so blessed to be able to spend so much time learning.
*Did anything from these messages stand out to you?
*What questions would you ask Sister Beck?
*What questions would you ask Sister Beck?
5 comments:
I love this. I was especially drawn to the comments about Rebekah, I want to be like that! Also drawing closer to God by doing the small things very well. That's profound.
How wonderful that you got to hear from Sister Beck! I love everything she says.
You are so wise to be taking notes now! I wish I had started earlier in life.
Your notes are wonderful! I love Sister Beck!
Thank you for sharing these inspiring notes--I needed to read them and am going to print off a copy to re-read later.
I would ask Sister Beck to come and speak to the sisters in my ward/stake! I would also want to ask her how to feel like a successful RS president when I feel like I never have time to do everything I should be doing.
I decided to start taking notes a while ago just to help me focus in church and I have never regretted it! And now when i need a thought or some inspiration I can look back at my notes.
We had a talk in Relief Society about healing the wounded soul. It was talked about how misbehavior, etc results from from some kind of injury to the soul. It definately makes me want to be more kind to those I come into contact with.
It's the end of a long week and I should be in bed preparing for yet another one! I just had to read your comments, for I knew that I would be filled if I did and it would be worth the effort and bedtime delay!
I know about 4 young eligable men that I would like to meet you! Someone is going to be one lucky dude.
I love you.
Post a Comment