Tuesday was a bad day. I woke up late. A slip on frosty gravel brought my knee crashing down on the sidewalk, tearing my new charcoal tights. I had to work on an English paper that I really did not (and still do not) want to write. I didn't have time to pack a decent lunch, so I had to scavenge for nutrition all day, which I hate. It was freezing cold. Having to face finals and end-of-year projects brought me spiraling into academic depression about not having an actual major, not doing as well as I want to in my classes, and wanting to be home instead of here. Tuesday was a bad day.
Wednesday was better. I wore my favorite skinny jeans, my gray Converse slip-ons, and an old baseball tee topped off with my trusty charcoal cardigan. I have definitely assembled better outfits, but this worked for the way I was feeling. I got up on time only to find that my first class was canceled. Initially, I had grand plans to further chip away at my english paper during the now open morning, but upon falling asleep over my scriptures and Raisin Bran, I took a nap until it was time for my 11:00 class. Instead of making myself stay on the cold and dark campus after work, I came back to my apartment, donned many warm and comfy layers, made some cocoa, and spent the evening doing homework. I topped it all off by enjoying popcorn, muffins, and an episode of "24" with Jordin before going to bed nice and early. Everything I did on Wednesday aimed at combating the horribleness that was Tuesday, and it worked.
Along with being sick of school and bruised from my fall, I spent much of Tuesday and Wednesday fighting against a below-average internal temperature. I had to don some fingerless gloves I made a while ago while I was doing my homework because my fleece pants, two shirts, hoodie, (with the hood pulled up), and socks weren't enough to relieve my tense, shivering, chilled self. Also, I have woken up the last couple of mornings to gunk in my throat and a runny nose. I was afraid that after a semester of resisting illness while almost everyone around me was afflicted that my body had given in and was preparing to hit me with something horrible just in time for finals. Miracle of miracles, though, I feel so much better at the end of today! Better than anything, I feel like myself, not the frozen, zombie Emily who took over for a couple days. I hope this sticks!
Oh, and in exactly two weeks from NOW, I'll be back home, completely finished with finals!!!
6 comments:
I like that everything about Wednesday was about combating the horribleness that was Tuesday. Good plan.
The only time I ever feel cold like that is when I'm sick. Hooray for your immune system fighting back! And hooray for being home so soon! You can do it. That end of the semester push is always rough, but you can do hard things, and the aftermath will be so sweet!
That was a sad day :( I'm rooting for you, pal! So soon we'll be home!
This extremely cold weather is messing up my internal temperature as well. I'm usually overly warm, so now being overly cold is pissing me off. Not good.
I'm sorry about your fall and the hole in your new tights; did anyone witness it? I once caught a girl who slipped backwards in front of me on campus. I caught her and we kept walking like nothing happened.
Have you ever heard of cuddle duds? Girly long underwear...very warm!
Michelle gave me the coolest framed poster last year for Christmas...
Stay Calm and Carry On.
It's good advice to be sure!
I'm glad you're on the way back to high ground!
So so sad! I hope things have been brighter since this post. And, since I'm late in commenting, it's now LESS THAN ONE WEEK until you and Charlotte get home!!!
Post a Comment