Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Plugged In

My iPod has been one of my closest companions at school this year. Walking to classes, studying, and working, waking up in the morning, I've been loving music and getting into some new bands. Something that just makes me happy is when I'm walking around campus and my step matches the beat of the song I'm listening to. I feel unstoppable and like nothing else in the world matters. I can't help but smile. :)

My Playlist:

Jimmy Eat World: These guys are a given; I don't think I have a playlist without some of them. I've only been really into them for a little more than a year, but we're close now. My FAVORITE song of all time is "Kill." The title is misleading, but it really is amazing. The line, "I can't help it, baby, this is who I am," is my mantra many a time when I feel stupid for doing something dorky or awkward. This reminds me not to change myself for other people, but be confident in myself.

MAE: I got music from this band from a friend a couple weeks ago, and love it! They're peppy, but not too pop. Good stuff. They sound a lot like Death Cab for Cutie, and have some really good songs.

Weezer: I never thought I'd like them, but since I tried them out recently, I find they make an excellent addition to any playlist.

Keane: My friend, Michael, from whom I receive much of my musical guidance and inspiration, made me a playlist online with the song "Nothing In My Way" on it, and I LOVE IT! It's one of those songs that I can listen to over and over again. It's an especially good campus strutting song.

Sherwood: These guys are similar to MAE, and have some good songs.

Coldplay: I go back and forth with Coldplay, but right now I'm definitely a fan. Their songs are mellow and good for in-between-class contemplation.

Death Cab for Cutie: It took me a while to like them, but I love "Transatlanticism," "Photobooth," and "The Sound of Settling."

I don't listen to individual albums, but rather playlists ranging from 50 to 450 songs. My iPod is in a perpetual state of shuffling though the music that says a lot about my life at the time. I have countless playlists, most of which are named (with alliterations, of course) after the period in my life they accompanied.

What's on your playlist right now?
Do you feel a personal bond with your iPod?

5 comments:

Melissa Marilyn said...

Oh yeah- I'm a big fan of Keane! Such a great voice. I love that you have playlists for different times in your life. When I hear songs it remeinds me of the time in my life when I was listening to that song and of the events and my current state. I love music!

charlotte said...

I love love love my iPod. Usually the songs I listen to are representative of what's going on in my life, and sometimes I actually don't like songs because they remind of not-so-great times! Still can't say I'm a huge fan of Jimmy Eat World. Some of their stuff I like, but other stuff, not so much. Josh Kelley is usually a staple on my iPod, as is dancing pop stuff, and I go in and out of listening to Lifehouse. I also rarely listen to a whole album--playlists are the way to go!

michelle said...

I like Keane. If you want more, I've got a couple of albums. Ditto Coldplay. I'm really liking James Morrison right now. Sadly, I don't have an iPod, I just listen to iTunes on my computer or CDs in the car. I like the image of you walking to the beat of your music and feeling unstoppable!

Denise said...

I also love the image of "unstoppable!" And, I love walking to the beat of music. I would really like to get an iPod, now that I'm trying to be a "gymalicious" girl. I'll have to check out your suggestions!

Susan said...

Can't say that I do!

I don't have a playlist!!! But I will confess that sometimes when I am in my car without anyone else (not that often!) I replay a favorite song (like James Taylor) over MANY times just because I like it! I don't get tired of it but feel stupid about it! I guess I must be a little boring.....but NOT with my new RED hair.....eek!
That's another story!

I don't get ipods.