Sunday, October 5, 2008

Finding My Niche

In one of my posts last week, I mentioned how I was having a hard time finding what I wanted to do. Since then, I’ve received some new inspiration and I’m exciting to try out some new things. 


Thanks to Susan for the comment on my post about looking into the fashion industry. I thought about it, and realized that I would really love to do something in that field. However, I don’t really know what jobs there are to be had. I love putting together outfits and trying out new combinations of textures, pattern, color, and accessories. Sometimes I find myself getting distracted while I’m studying at night because I’m mentally assembling my outfit for the next day. Since I’ve been at school, I have yet to repeat an ensemble, and I’ve brought some pieces back to life that I haven’t worn in a while. I especially like working with some of the Susan Cast-Offs I got from her last package. She sent a couple great pieces that I’ve had fun playing with. 


Documented below is a favorite new outfit I put together this week, with a bright pink cardigan from Susan. I put it together at about midnight before I wore it, and wasn’t sure if it looked too 80’s. I got approval from my suitemates, but wasn’t quite sold. I got dressed in a hurry Friday morning and didn’t have time to process my ensemble before stepping out onto campus for my day, and immediately began questioning my latest fashion move. I could swear that people were staring at me and thinking thoughts of “What the heck is she wearing?,” “That’s a HUGE belt!,” and “Whoa.” In an act of fashion cowardice, I removed my belt on my way to my first class. I put the belt back on while I was studying in the Wilk before my 11:00 class, and by the time I got to said class, I was in a panic, feeling like a skinny-jean wearing, giant-belted, 80’s freak. I found a bathroom, walked in, and luckily there was a girl in there who I know. I desperately asked her if my belt was okay, and she consoled my fears. Her friend gave me encouragement, telling me to “wear it with courage!” so I did. For the rest of the day I walked confidently across campus, deciding to rock the look. It was way fun, and I felt the buzz that can only come with wearing a new and trendy outfit. It must have been a success, because some guy came up and talked to me while I was putting up “Missed Punch” lists around the Physics department and ended up getting my number. Haha. That made me feel pretty good. Ah, the power of fashion.


I’ve decided to start taking the prerequisites for the Business School, because I think that I would really like to go into Business Management. I’m also going to take Basics of Clothing Construction next semester, and maybe unlock some new powers of fashion creation. 


4 comments:

Diana said...

I love your outfit. That is so impressive that you haven't repeated any enseble since you've been at school. Wow!
I hope you find what you want to do. I think you and Fashion are a perfect fit.

michelle said...

Woohoo! Sounds like you have a good plan, and a potential date as well!

Denise said...

This is perhaps one of your best posts ever! Maybe because it's a true indication that you are my child. I love mentally creating new outfits! Way to rock it and be a fashion Braveheart! I love you so much :).

thepostproducer said...

I've got your answer Emily! You should own your own clothing line! It should be called Em to the MAX! Or DYNAMITE! Eh? Good thinking right? That way you would have the best of the fashion and the business worlds! But anyway, in all seriousness I think you should do something in fashion. It just seems so perfect for you! =)