Yesterday was my Grandma's birthday, so I dedicated my afternoon to her, the wonderful woman whose example and love influences me every day.
I did so by baking my first of many traditional cakes in honor of her birthday. This was my first layer cake, along with my first attempt at making White Mountain frosting. Though a daunting task, these were both staples in Grandma's repertoire, and I considered it fitting to begin my development of my own "skills born of experience" on her birthday.
Sadly, the cake layers had difficulty releasing from the pan, and my first go with White Mountain frosting was a disaster, but end result was satisfying. I felt a little blue that I wasn't able to share the cake with anyone who knew my Grandma personally, but I loved sharing my cake with roommates and neighbors and telling them a little about CJP.
While I baked (which involved extensive scraping of hardened sugary syrup from pans and bowls and mixers) I listened to the recently broadcast General Relief Society Meeting, which reminded me of the love and beauty that was such a part of her. I also turned on some instrumental jazz in her honor.
I think that Grandma would have enjoyed the afternoon in my kitchen. I know I did.
9 comments:
We made the same cake! We ate ours for dinner. Really--for dinner.
I know I would have enjoyed that afternoon with you in your spacious kitchen.
My first layer cake wasn't awesome either (back in February). Yours looks delicious!
However, I just don't know if I could have listened to instrumental jazz.
Man, you really took it to another level when you turned on the instrumental jazz. That is some serious tribute action going on.
I love that you dedicated your afternoon to her, talked to your roommates about her, and worked on some of your "skills born of experience." How I love that term.
p.s. I could have found the time to make a cake if we'd eaten it for dinner! Why didn't I think of that?
Way to go with your first attempt making that frosting. I love it that you and your mom came up with this great way to honor your grandmother.
Oh dear, instrumental jazz?!
I could definitely go for the instrumental jazz!
As already noted on Michelle's blog, I did not get the "cake" memo, and I have mixed feelings about it. I really did not have one minute to devote to a cake, but I will be on the band wagon next year!
I did, however, bake another one of Grandma's favorites for Collin's homecoming. Lazy dazy cake. (Is that the way it's spelled?!) It is one cake that Ryan will actually have a bite of. It turned out gloriously and I had a tear in my eye the whole time.
What is it about mothers, anyway?
Post a Comment