Two funny stories and one conclusion about BYU campus.
1. The women's' bathrooms on the 4th and 5th floors of the library host deluxe bathroom setups. Each of them has a ladies lounge filled with cast-off library furniture from the 70's. I'm talking chaise lounges. Every time I step into the bathroom, I wonder how that day's female library patrons are using the room that so many mistake as a place designated solely for the carrying out of bodily obligations. BYU bathrooms change this perception. Last week, for example, I stepped into the 5th floor bathroom to find one woman napping on the chaise, another watching a tv show online, and another talking on the phone. On other occasions, I have witnessed patrons in full-blown study mode. Why use the tables in the library proper, inconveniently far away from a toilet when you can study within 10 feet of five different stalls?
2. On my way to campus on Saturday, I walked along lovely forest-side path. While enjoying the morning sunshine and trees, a coed of mine put the greenery to his own uses. Maybe the campus bathrooms are not as plush for men as they are for women, because he passed up use of public facilities altogether. Within close proximity of path-walkers and tennis players, this guy stepped off the path, walked three feet up the forested slope, turned his back to said path, and started peeing. In the open. Outside. Surrounded by other people. While I was leaving my friend a peppy birthday voice mail. I was sure to give him a funny look before walking on to my study group.
Conclusion: BYU students study where most people pee and pee where most people don't.
10 comments:
No. way.
p.s. I've seen people napping in those bathrooms as well! And "Why use the tables in the library proper, inconveniently far away from a toilet when you can study within 10 feet of five different stalls?" made me laugh out loud.
I never really understood those particular bathrooms, but that doesn't mean I didn't catch a few z's there a time or two. Maybe there used to be more nursing mothers frequenting the library?
Yes, they are supposed nursing lounges. But as very few mothers of nursing babies actually 1) stay in school or 2) bring nursing babies to class with them... they end up being mostly a convenient place to nap.
make that "supposed to be"
I find this rather disurbing (not that part about napping, but the part about peeing outdoors). Surely this is against BYU's honor code?!
The line from your post that Michelle quoted also elicited audible laughter from me. I love it when you make time to post! Come to think of it, I really love you, too. :)
oh, dee!
I find the thought of hanging out in the bathroom to study, talk on the phone or watch tv absolutely repugnant. I don't want to be anywhere near people "doing their business!"
Boys...I don't know how they walk around with those things.
I LOVED the peppy Birthday voicemail and laughed to know of your experience while leaving it! Hope you're having a great week!
Oh this was a funny, funny post. I'll admit to having talked on the phone once in that exact bathroom, but it was an important conversation, and I couldn't go anywhere else. I love you. And miss you. Like, a lot.
Somehow Jill's comment made me laugh even more than your post.
True Dat.
Post a Comment