Monday, September 7, 2009

Back in Action!

Hello, my faithful followers. I'm sorry for leaving you hanging on my last, less-than-optimistic post about Provo. I'm here, and my first week was amazingly successful. Saying goodbye to my family was tough, but I felt none of the debilitating homesickness I felt last year. It was so easy to slip back into school life, and I'm really enjoying myself. My ward is fantastic, and I already know many new people and friends. I feel like a part of things here, which is wonderful.

My apartment is less than luxurious, but I'm okay with it. I've been blessed with the ability to see past the small things like a constantly dirty kitchen floor, messy living room, and sink full of dishes, and accept it as part of living in a college apartment with five other girls. The two roommates who I didn't know before I came here have been here all summer, and they didn't feel the need to make room for us new move-ins in the fridge, cupboards, or bathroom, or even tidy up. Since moving in last weekend, I've already mopped the kitchen and cleaned my side of the bathroom. I refuse to become the only roommate who cleans just because I actually notice dirt, but this initial cleaning was more for my psyche than anything.

I'll take some pictures soon to show the good and the bad at my apartment. My roommates, though adverse to cleaning, are into decorating and making our apartment cute, though their taste is not always spot on. I'm happy with the cute orange curtains, but I could definitely do without the monkey and sea horse sculptures. To each his own, I guess.

Class-wise, things are looking good. Taking the pre-requisites for the accounting program is great because they actually count for something. After a year of GE's, having direction is fantastic.

I'm doing so much better than I could have hoped for. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as I've been praying for strength all summer and I know that I have many friends and loved ones praying for me as well. I know that the strength and capacity I'm feeling is not my own, and I am so grateful to be the recipient of so many blessings.

7 comments:

Shiny said...

Monkey and seahorse statues? Yes, thats not strange/creepy at all.

Denise said...

What a great post to raad on my way to bed! I'm so glad to know that things are going so well for you this year, despite dirty dishes and seahorse sculptures. Love you!

Claire said...

monkey's sea horses? they just need to settle down on one. I am for the sea horses personally.

April said...

I saw a picture of that sea horse on facebook, seriously scary...

You are doing accounting then, for sure?! I think that is a good fit for you.

I was sorry to hear about your car. :(

I have a real story about roommates and dishes. Once when Reed and my brother lived in the same house they took all the dishes out of the sink, that belonged to a certian roommate who never did his dishes, and they placed them ever so lovingly on his bed! I am not sure how girls would react to that, but if it gets really bad that might help them get the message.

Oh the days of labling all your food and fighting for cupbord/fridge space...
Good Luck!! Love you!

Susan said...

Monkey and seahorse sculptures, what the?!!

Oh, dee! Try to rid the place of those!!!

Glad you're in the spirit of happiness!! I just love counting on prayers.

michelle said...

Stop it on the monkey and sea horse sculptures!

Yes, photos, please.

I love it that you're feeling the strength you've been praying for.

Jill said...

I never understand how people can be okay with not cleaning up after themselves. Rinsing and loading or washing dishes right after eating is so much less disgusting and tedious than having to take care of gross dishes that have been coagulating in the sink! Maybe their mothers didn't teach them well! I have had multiple friends whose mothers didn't teach them to clean and these poor girls have had a rough go of it because of it.

I'm glad you have direction with your studies and are feeling the benefit of answered prayers!