I had my last piano lesson last Tuesday, and had difficulty saying goodbye to the woman who has taught me weekly for the last six years. "Amazing" is about the only fitting description for Vicki Duckworth. She is an amazing musician and woman, and only recently have I realized what an important and steady role she has played in my life. No matter what is going on in my life, she is waiting for me Thursday mornings at 7:45 or Tuesdays at 11:30 or Thursdays at 3:00 or at whatever time my lessons have been scheduled each school year and summer since seventh grade. I consider my time spent with Vicki as a form of inexpensive therapy. She listens to my venting about school, we talk about choir, (she is the accompanist for my high school's choir department) and she teaches me about the beauty in music and how to find it. In those 45 minute sessions, I could take a break from my world and focus on music, which has amazing stress-relieving and strengthening properties. Having her as a mentor has been such a blessing in my life, and I look forward to returning to her each summer for lessons. We have developed a close friendship, and I know that my weeks at school will miss those constant and strengthening times.

We had one last lesson together after my senior recital. We went over music that was set aside in lieu of recital pieces, discussed my recital, talked about BYU and how hard it will be for me to leave my Mom and family, and mostly enjoyed one more time together in her front room with me on the bench and her on the stool next to the piano. It was wonderful.
I will miss her so much, but will always remember what she taught me about sharing and serving through music.
(I went thrifting for vinyl records to hang on my dorm wall, and bought "Chopin's Greatest Hits" with her in mind. The cover is cool, and it will be a happy reminder of the piano teacher I love.)
3 comments:
I'm sure it will be equally hard for Vicki to see you go. What a blessing it is to a teacher to have such a devoted student.
I love Vicki, too! What a great tribute to her.
Wow. I never stayed in one place long enough to have a teacher for six years! What a great relationship you two developed.
Post a Comment