Friday, June 13, 2008

Working Weekend

I'm currently at work at Evergreen Hair Company, and the day is winding down. I normally just work Friday afternoons, but the girl who works mornings took off today and yesterday for her birthday. There are only two stylists left, and it's nice and quiet.

My main duties as a receptionist include sweeping up hair when it is cut from our clients heads, ringing up clients, and taking care of the stylists' tips. I also clean around the salon and get drinks for the clients. We have a mini fridge stocked with Capri Sun, Fresca, Pepsi One, Coke, and even a couple cans of Bud Light. ??? We really care about providing something for all ages and tastes.

I never love coming to work because I feel like I have to pretend to be busy, and I make $8/hour, but have to drive 20 minutes into the mountains to get here. Not ideal, but it's money. The way I make it through these open to close days is by thinking of things to look forward to throughout the day. Much of these motivations consist of the lunch and snacks I bring. Today I had a highly enjoyable lunch break reading Pride and Prejudice and eating my PB&J and peach. I also brought 3 pieces of my Grandma's Divinity, which I ate at strategic intervals to keep me going. My main motivation today is the Office party I'm having tonight. I'm expecting a pretty good turn out, and I'm excited to watch the Office all night and eat ice cream sundaes. However, I still have all of tomorrow to work up here. Bah.

2 comments:

charlotte said...

I hate jobs like that. My boss is gone all week, so I have much more license to do whatever I want :)

michelle said...

Bud Light? Really? Somehow I just can't imagine anyone throwing back one of those while getting their hair done...

I hate hate hate jobs where you're not busy but have to pretend you are. Can you at least play computer solitaire or something?

Grandma's divinity could make anything a little more bearable!