Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thoughts of a Graduate


Yes, I have officially completed high school! My last day of school was a couple weeks ago, and I loved walking out of Wheat Ridge High School knowing that I never have to go back! (as a student at least.) I went out to a fun little cafe' with my friends that night and it hit me that I wasn't a high school student anymore. That was a dynamite moment fo sho!
Graduation was fun. My choir sang the national anthem and "Danny Boy," which has been one of our favorite pieces this year. Sadly, starting on four different notes in a big stadium with only a pitch pipe for direction, we started in about 20 different keys. The result was a painful, creepily minor and dissonant introduction. We pulled it together for the rest of the piece, though. I'm sure glad they got that performance on DVD! ;)
It was a weird feeling last week to realize that everything to do with high school is behind me, and all that's ahead is BYU, and adulthood, a both exciting and terrifying prospect. I can't wait to move to Provo and live the BYU life. Every time I wear or buy a new outfit, I picture myself in it on BYU campus, walking from my dorm to classes, and hanging out at Charlotte's. However, adulthood and college also comes with a price tag labeled: You owe us $7,000+ sucker. P.S., you don't have that much money; neither do your parents, and there's no way you can make that much in one summer. I several jobs and settled on a nannying job for which my English teacher recommended me. I prayed a lot during my job hunt, and feel like this is the way to go. It's only for July, and won't make all the money I need, but I have some other jobs for when I'm not nannying, and I'm trusting the Lord to show me what to do. I really want to avoid student loans, and am praying that a couple more scholarships come through. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and taking whatever jobs come my way.
Oh, I also need to figure out what classes I'm going to take next fall, which was a little overwhelming last time I tried to figure something out last Friday. I'll try again this week, and make several calls to Official Supportive Advisor Sister Charlotte. (I'll have your badge and cape to you later this week. :) )
That's my life right now. It's pretty good though. Looking back, I'm happy with who I turned out to be after high school. I was worrying a couple weeks ago about how I can possibly survive I college. Will I keep up with the homework? Will I be able to get past the homesickness? Then I remembered how many hard days the Lord got me through in high school. Duh! The Lord can do anything, and He's on my side! My new motto is "I Can Do It!," because I can!

3 comments:

charlotte said...

I believe in you! I still can't believe you're out of high school and ready to come out to BYU next year--we'll have a blast!

That "Danny Boy" did start out a bit rough...

Can my cape be pink?

Denise said...

Of course you'll be awesome! It's great to know that the Lord is on your side.

michelle said...

Oh, scary imagining your Danny Boy without the correct pitches!

High school graduation was one of the happiest days of my life -- just couldn't wait to get out of there. If you ask me, it only gets better! I'm always sad for people who peak in high school.

You are going to be great at BYU and I love your new motto.