One of my fellow employees recycles her old magazines by leaving them in the break room for break-takers to enjoy. A few weeks ago, I found four whole issues of Cat Fancy, the "World's Most Widely Read Cat Magazine." (I doubt that title has much competition.) Not wanting to be greedy, I took three issues, but went back for the fourth a couple days later.
Too lazy to take an actual picture, I posed with my cat zines for PhotoBooth. Unfortunately, the mirror image impedes the ability to peruse the headlines. I'm keeping this one in the post because I posed with my best Crazy Cat Lady face and couldn't stand to waste it.
Check out these treasures!
Fascinating Cat Fact #40: "Claws retract automatically to keep them sharp and allow silent stalking."
Fascinating Cat Fact #15: "Kittens in the womb acquire whiskers before body hair."
Fascinating Cat Fact #6: "Cats hear sounds, especially the can opener, four or five times farther away than humans.
I don't think it's a coincidence that this rather chubby cat is on the cover of the "Diet Secrets Revealed" issue.
Jessie: The issue above has a feature all about hairless cats! This issue also has some compelling opinions about where cats go when they die.
Have I mentioned that each issue comes with a centerfold cat poster? I'm shocked that the previous magazine owner left these out for co-workers before pulling those out!
My recent possession of these Cat Fancy issues has inspired me with creepy ways to spread cat fanciness around our home. Last week I replaced all of our school pictures on the fridge with pictures of various creepy cats. Do you have a favorite?
Can you spot the hidden cat? This didn't come with Cat Fancy, but we've been hiding a scary metal cat statue around the house back and forth. I'm pretty proud of this particular place.
And now the good news for all you readers, who are dying for a piece of the Cat Fancy action! Everyone who comments (I want everyone who is reading this to comment) will be entered into a drawing to win a centerfold poster and a selection of articles from one of my issues of Cat Fancy! You do not want to miss out on this opportunity.
In the meantime, visit CatFancy.com/subscribe to start getting your own copies today! Also be sure to stop by www.meow.com for some cat-related shopping. They have a "Four Cool Kittens" sweater that is fabulous.
I'll draw for and announce the winner this Saturday, June 4. Get your entries in asap!

14 comments:
Oh please--let me be the first to comment! First, what a happy surprise to find the metal cat lurking in my diningroom fireplace. And second, I just love the cat pictures on my refrigerator. Now everyone who comes to my house will think I'm a total cat freak.
Oh this is just too funny. It's so sweet of your co-worker to share her old issues. I hope no one else was upset that you took all of them!
Emily you make me laugh. I can't believe you found these AND the folding posters...they are fantastic :) I hope that I too will be the proud owner of one of those pictures as well as an article.
Well??? DOES coat color affect personality, or not?
How could you neglect to answer that scintillating question?
I love that you put the cat pictures on the fridge, and that you actually read the magazines.
What did it say about Sphynxs?
What a wonderful way to start my day! That Four Cool Kittens sweater is calling my name. And I know just the place in the apartment for the centerfold poster.
Please please let me win that centerfold.
I have a cat and I am still sitting here in shock that someone actually owns cat magazines. I think all of my students would love it if I wore that sweater to school. I would definitely be the most stylish teacher. The poster could go in my classroom too!
What is up with all this incredulity? Parents subscribe to parenting magazines, and since having cats is EXACTLY like having children... we *need* magazines like this.
Meow!
Oh! I fancy that. I fancy the idea of waking up at four AM every morning to a cat centerfold poster. No more crabby wake ups for me!
Hilarious. I am reminded of my first trip to Nantucket, where issues of Cat Fancy abounded in the beach house!
Totally cracking up over the metal cat in the fireplace.
Emily, I didn't think you actually read those issues. Wow...
Just wanted to throw in a word for all you dog lovers out there. Although I think there is much less dog paraphernalia available.
http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/
You are way too funny! I guess all that commuting time has to be good for something...
I also remember seeing those magazines in Nantucket! What the?!
I'm sure Shannon will be trying to find "Rat Tales" for her rat fettish! (Do you even know Shannon?! She has a cute blog Duckma.blogspot)
Cats. none for me, thanks!
Post a Comment