Thursday, December 2, 2010

quick thought

I read this today from a talk given by Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles today, and it gives me a lot to think about.

"When we receive an impression in our heart, we can use our mind either to rationalize it away or to accomplish it. Be careful what you do with an impression from the Lord."

This stresses to me the importance of opening our hearts to good ideas. It is easy to push a thought out of mind, but the consequences of not following an impression can hurt ourselves and perhaps the people who we are called upon to serve.

I had an experience this week of disregarding an impression and finding out later that I had let someone down who I could have helped at a very specific moment. My heart broke when I realized that someone I loved was let down by my own foolishness. I really regret that.

We miss so many opportunities when we choose our way over the Lord's. I'm going to try to respond more actively to impressions I receive in the hopes that I will not leave someone without what the Lord depended on me to provide.

3 comments:

Jill said...

That's a great quote and this is a good experience for you. How wonderful to learn this lesson at such a young age! Just think how much better you'll do from now on.

michelle said...

That is a wonderful thought. I hate to think of the times I have let someone down, and still do, I'm sure. Your last paragraph is just the call to action that I need!

Charlotte said...

It's humbling to think of how often the Lord answers others' prayers through us. I'm sure I've let down many people because of my thoughtlessness. You're a wonderful example to me of listening to the Spirit; you never let me down.